The key to SEO copywriting success
As someone who has spent the majority of their career working in advertising agencies and in-house for luxury travel brands, I was used to writing evocative, long copy that could paint a product picture of pure indulgence. Therefore, the thought of producing snappy, factual copy, focussing on specific keywords and all for the benefit of a computer to decide where my writing was worthy of being placed, was somewhat difficult for me to comprehend.
Fast-forward two years and I couldn’t be happier producing SEO content, affiliate blogs and website copy that have the ability to rank on page 1 of Google. But why the sudden change of heart you might ask? The answer…I simply love writing for a specific audience. And, once you learn to appreciate that search engines will only rank pages that people want to consume, you realise that just like emotive copy, SEO copywriting is about engaging and pleasing your customers.
Learning the art of SEO wordsmithing
When online content first started to be published, it was the technical whizz kids who would produce the copy, believing that it could be used as another website optimisation tool. Today, however, the importance of quality writing has been recognised and it’s not just about getting your content noticed by Google, but by people who are interested in you.
The processes for creating content for online usage is pretty similar to writing for advertisements, promotions and customer engagement. As long as you have a handle on who your audience is and what they find appealing, then you can tailor your headlines, words, phrases, sentences and paragraphs to suit. But be warned, when it comes to SEO content, it is often easy to lose sight of who you are writing for in your quest to outrank your competitors. But don’t write to please Google, write to enthral your readers, because trust me, search engines will only love you more for it.
SEO – the method behind the madness
Of course, there are certain rules you should follow if you want to make it to the top such as:
- Making sure you do your search analysis.
- Remembering to stick to a particular topic. Search engines don’t like it if you throw in too many subject matters, as they get confused as to what to rank you for.
- Ensuring that you include the correct words within your page titles, meta descriptions, headings and image alt tags. You don’t want to look like you are shoehorning certain words in, but placing them in the right places in the right way, is the key to success.
- Measuring and optimising your performance as you go. Don’t be afraid to admit when something isn’t working. Keep tweaking and testing until you find the right balance.
- And although there are guidelines that should be adhered to when producing content for SEO purposes (so many in fact that I have written a separate blog on it – see the beginners guide to SEO), the copy should still be meaningful, expressive and purposeful.
The wonderful world of SEO
Essentially the art of writing content for online, digital usage (as opposed to offline such as print), is to produce something that people want to read in the here and now. Today you could be position number 1, yet tomorrow you may not even feature on the first page of rankings. Therefore, it is important that you come up with something that grabs enough attention for your audience to read, like, return to and ultimately share with their friends. Afterall, it’s often what happens off the page such as book marking, linking, and social sharing, that brings businesses (and content) the most success.
Credible SEO Services
Did you know that the more we hear something, the we more we start to believe that it’s true? That isn’t to say we should be bombarding our audience with the same sales message over and over again, but instead reiterate our core values and benefits to our potential consumers in a different yet subtle way. Vlogging, blogging, paid for advertising and social channels, all offer media spaces where businesses can reach out, connect and build up trust with their audience.
Having worked with a number of clients, I have seen first-hand how well-crafted, thought out copy can aid a business to generate more traffic and grow organically online. At Targeted SEO we offer a host of SEO copywriting services that can target your customers and solve their specific problems, impressing both search engines and readers alike.
Contact us for more information today.